In all the pregnancy books I've read, they say that the baby's birth weight is directly related to the *mother's* birth weight. (The father supposedly has no influence on this whatsoever, which is great for some people I know!) This information pleased me greatly, as I was quite the teeny little baby when I was born, popping out at 5 lbs and 13 oz. I can easily handle a 5-6 lb baby. However, we had another ultrasound done on Thursday and were informed that our fetus is already weighing in at 4lbs and 14 oz, and she's still got 6 more weeks to grow!! Granted, there's some room for error, but the error is not large enough for me to entertain the idea of a teeny baby anymore. (Unless of course she were born this week.) They figured out her weight by measuring her head, femur, and abdomen and then averaging those numbers together. Jared so kindly pointed out that the head was the largest of ALL these numbers, and it was the femur and abdomen measurements that were bringing the average down. So am I nervous? A little bit. But people give birth every day, and to be honest, I'm kind of looking forward to taking on the challenge. And I'm looking forward to the challenges and joys that being a parent will offer. Besides, Paka is tired of not being able to take cat naps on my stomach anymore. So we're ready.... we've just got 6 more weeks to wait. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment