We love Christmas in our house. LOVE it. And while there's plenty to cherish about the holiday (The birth of Jesus! Noel! Rejoice!), we *really* enjoy putting up our Christmas tree. There's something about the warm glow from the lights that can make any house seem cozy.
After last year's ornament-breaking fiasco (I think we lost 3 within 2 minutes), we decided to only let the kids hang up the shatterproof ones this year. Much less nerve-wracking for us. Much less micromanaging for them. Much more enjoyment for everyone.
When she's really concentrating hard, she sticks her little tongue out. It's so cute.
I remember when I was younger, I had a Garfield comic from the newspaper taped to the bookshelf on my room. The comic strip was a Christmas one, and it showed Garfield and Odie decorating the tree. The final frame of the strip shows Jon, Garfield, and Odie standing back and looking at their beautiful tree together. I think Jon said something like, "Good work, guys. This is the prettiest tree we ever had." Which is a pretty standard statement to make each year (I remember my mom saying it frequently while growing up, and Jared and I have said it a few times ourselves.). But the reason it was so cute, and the reason I cut out the comic and saved it for so long, was because only the bottom 6 inches of the tree had ornaments on it.
I had completely forgotten about that comic strip until Leah and Isaac proudly hung up all of their ornaments.
And as they stood back and surveyed their work, there was a (possibly slightly misty-eyed) part of me that thought, Well geez. This is the prettiest tree we've ever had.
I'd like to say we left the tree like that and just enjoyed it's toddler/preschooler decor. But after the kids went to bed that night, we rearranged the ornaments so they were dispersed a wee more evenly throughout the tree.
Since I couldn't decide which video of the event to post, I decided to share them all. Even the crooked, have to tilt your head to the side to watch it one. :)
Oh, the excitement!
Must. Touch. Every. One.
Ohhh, thank you to the creator of shatterproof Christmas ornaments! May all your Christmases be merry and bright! Oh, and also? Tilt your head to the left right about....now.





1 comment:
Oh my gosh, Isaac is soooo cute! I mean they both are, just haven't seen Isaac since he was a wee baby. We too had shatterproof ornaments for the kiddos, most of the time the ornaments were off the tree and played with and put in places throughout the apartment. Miss you guys, hope you had a great Christmas!
Post a Comment