Ok, ok... I've been meaning to sign on and post this bad boy for a few days, but I've been somewhat distracted (go figure). Anyway, most of you heard the story of us going on our nightly walk on Sunday and me going into labor while we're still a good mile and a quarter from our house. In an effort to maintain some dignity, I wanted to keep the following to myself. But let's face it, it's just too funny not to tell.
So Jared and I were walking and all the while my stomach was feeling sort of off, but I kind of ignored it because let's face it-- it'd been feeling "off" for 9 months now. A truck was coming down the road, and we called the dogs over to us. As we are standing there waiting for the truck to pass, I notice a "gush", shall we say, to which I respond with "Oh, s*&%." I can't stop it, and so we begin our trek back to the house, this time with our pace picked up a bit. The whole time back, Jared is saying, "Are you sure you didn't just pee yourself?" Of course I'm sure. I think I would know if I just peed myself, thank you very much. We get back to the house, call the doctor who says come on in to the hospital and let's get this party started. Since it's late, we didn't want to wait until 3 am to call people once the baby was born, so we started spreading the word on the way. By the time we get to the hospital, pretty much all of our nearest and dearest have been told that the baby is on its way. And of course, Jared points out again how hilarious it would be if I had just peed myself and were sent home because then we'd have to call EVERYBODY back and tell them that I have the bladder control of a 95 year old woman. Sweet. I'm sure at this point you can all see where this is going...
They check me out at the hospital. Hook me up to a bunch of machines. And check to see if my water broke. Guess what folks... I peed myself. (Insert laughter here.)
My only saving grace at this point is that I was having fairly steady contractions, so they decided to keep me at the hospital anyway since I was technically already in labor. (The contractions are actually what MADE me wet my pants-- what with all that extra pressure on the bladder and whatnot.) And so we got to spend the night there watching the Olympics and being monitored and, my favorite part, we didn't have to call everybody and tell them that it was a false alarm because we would be leaving with a wee little baby.
Come morning, they induced me to make my contractions stronger and more regular, and about 5 hours after that, little Leah was plopped into my lap.
So the next time you think your water broke, ask yourself this question BEFORE you start calling everyone you know-- "Did I just pee myself?" Because there's a good chance you might have.
Now I shall go through our camera to find more photos for you all. Because I know that's what you really want. :)
2013 - catching up!
11 years ago

2 comments:
The awesomest story ever.
And you win the good mommy award. I still haven't written down Mia's birth story. Maybe I'll do that soon... hmmm...
Gina - just so you know - we just showed Grandad how to look at your blog and this was the first story he read. Nice!
Post a Comment