Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Snowy Day

Since it's snowing outside, I'm finally in the mood to post these photos from our "Big Snow!"  we had a few weeks ago.  (And by "Big Snow!", I mean 3ish inches.  But the biggest we've had thus far this year.)   

Once we realized it was snowing outside, we quickly bundled up and scampered out.  There wasn't much there at first, but we did the best we could to build a wee snowman.  

 See?  Leah is oohing over its fine craftmanship. 

 Meanwhile, Isaac is all Mark Davenport about the snow... "Waaaahhhhh, it's so cold.  Wahhhhh, snow is the worst!"  This *may* have been due to the fact that at this point, it started (freezing) raining on us.  

 Our second attempt to go out later on was much more successful.  Does anyone know how long it takes to get two small children geared up and ready to play in the snow?  Because it feels like FOREVER.  And then inevitably, there's a need to go potty.  How come nobody invented snowsuits with zipper up butt flaps? 

 Most enjoyed snow activity?  Why eating it, of course!  I tried to explain that this would just make them feel colder, but oddly enough, logic is lost on (almost) 2 and 3 year olds. 

 The freezing rain put an ice layer on everything, giving the whole backdrop a nice Winter Wonderland look.  

 See?  Now that's just pretty. 

 The overall consensus was that our pond is obviously not quite ready for skating.  



 Nom, nom, nom. 

 Now, it's not so much that I really love winter, but more so that I love living in a place that gives us the opportunity to experience the beauty and uniqueness of each season.  

And back inside for some backyard bird watching.  Leah's got all the regulars down, so she was tutoring Isaac.  Thus far, he can identify doves, blue jays, cardinals, and chickadees.  I'd say Leah's a pretty good teacher. 


3 comments:

Laurie Heath said...

First, thank you for giving me my new favorite expression, being "all Mark Davenport" about cold weather (which I was yesterday as the temps dipped into the low 50s/upper 40s).

Second, what I wouldn't give to be all Mark Davenport with you and your kiddos in your winter wonderland backyard, and then all snuggly in my warm pjs at the back door, learning my birds from Leah while enjoying a little snack.

And finally, super nice icy pics!

Love you bunches my friend. xo

g+j said...

Ha! Yes, the expression developed when he was griping about how cold Canada was. Well, it IS Canada! :)

Laurie, every time we are exploring outside, I think of you and how you can capture such beautiful things on camera all the time. Like, "Wow, that looks really awesome. I bet Laurie would love to take 1,426 pictures of that." :)

Laurie Heath said...

LOL! More like 8,962.