Wednesday, March 2, 2011

First Birthday Eve

I never saw the musical, but when I was in high school choir, we sang the song Seasons of Love from Rent.  For the past month or so, the song has been running through my head.  Something about the combination of weaning Isaac and nearing his first birthday.  Anyway, it goes a little something like this:

Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes
Five hundred twenty-five thousand moments so dear
Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?
In daylights, in sunsets
In midnights, in cups of coffee
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife
In five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes,
how do you measure, a year in the life?
How about love?  Measure in love...

For those of you who remember, I tend to struggle with my babies turning 1.  When Leah turned 1, I cried multiple times the entire day before her birthday.  I seem to have pulled myself together a wee bit this time around, as the only time I've shed some tears was at Christmas time when we bought Isaac's 12-month jammies.  That was my first reminder that the BIG ONE was coming up.  Though I'm excited about what's coming up in this next year of his life (especially now that I've witnessed it through Leah), I'm still bummed about having my little baby boy grow up.  What can I say, I like to feel needed.   

And now it's Isaac's First Birthday Eve, and I can't stop humming that song.  During Isaac's first year, I saw many midnights, drank lots of coffee, watched him grow inches, moved 1500 miles to a new home, laughed PLENTY (mostly watching him interact with his big sister) and listened to his adorable little giggle, and made it through some somewhat trying times (Spending his 2nd night post-birth in NICU? Severe acid reflux for 6 months?).  But mostly, there was love. 

Second babies to parents are like The Whos from Whoville to the Grinch.  They make your heart grow three sizes, when you didn't even realize there was more room for it to grow.  (I can't even imagine what third babies do!)






Love you, baby boy.  Happy First Birthday.

5 comments:

Laurie Heath said...

Did you hear that explosion just now? It was my heart bursting.

What a sweet boy! I can't wait to see him in just a couple of months!

Davenports said...

Oh man. On the morn of getting to go look at that sweet third baby, this totally made me cry.

I love you. I love him. And I miss you all. I feel so blessed to have gotten to share with you even some of those moments.

Happy birthday Isaac!

AmyK said...

Tears, tears, tears. That song got me!

g+j said...

So I had to change my post a bit. I re-read it, and it really irked me that I had used the phrase "Spent his 2nd night alive in NICU"... because it wasn't his 2nd night alive. It was just his 2nd night post-birth. I can certainly testify that he was alive and kicking well before that point. :) So my apologies for my poor word choice.

Josh, Lina & Caden said...

SO SWEET!!! Bringing tears to my eyes just thinking about how quickly time will go with my little Caden!