Then I get the camera out and randomly take some pictures and somehow manage to capture such cute little faces on camera, that the aggravation just sort of melts away. Perhaps it's seeing their sweet little mugs on the camera screen as opposed to while they're clawing at my legs that gives me a different perspective. (Even though they are most likely clawing at my legs while I am looking at the camera screen.) Or perhaps, for that particular day anyway, it's one of the rare moments where they are smiling, laughing, making funny faces, and miraculously, I've caught it on camera. Either way, some how it gives me an opportunity to step back for a second. It's a reminder for me of how sweet, wonderful, and hilarious these two little stinkers really are.
I'm not sure if you remember, but a little over a year ago my heart was captured by Layla Grace. I followed her blog daily and, as Jared would say, probably got a little obsessed, about this girl that we didn't even know. It was just so heartbreaking that, like a train wreck, I couldn't tear myself away. I can clearly remember sitting in the recliner in our living room, holding my then-newborn baby Isaac, and reading that two year old Layla had passed away. It was horrible. Though I felt incredibly sad for this little girl, I couldn't even begin to explain how much sorrow I felt for her family. Having a daughter of similar age, it made me sick to think of being in their shoes. Though it's been almost a year since her passing, I still think of Layla regularly. The reason I bring all of this up is because I owe Layla a big thank you. Her story (and sadly, many others' as well) is what reminds me that not all parents have their sweet little babies around to throw temper tantrums, pull hair, chase dogs, wake them up in the middle of the night, etc... so thank you, Layla. Thank you for the extra patience, compassion, and love for my children that you have instilled in me. And thank you for reminding me of how incredibly blessed I am to be able to spend so much time with them each and every day.




4 comments:
Dang girl. 'Em's some guuuuud pitchers!! xo And you must be one of the sweetest mamas I know.
Aww, thanks Laurie. And I'm not so sure about the quality of those pictures, but the subjects were pretty cute. :)
I'm trying to be a better blog-commenter so...
Yes! I couldn't agree more. It's tough some days. It's fantastic some days. But I wouldn't trade it. Even though I do think that sometimes, just for a few hours, I'd like to sell them to the circus (I think Micah would fit in nicely).
For me, it's been oh, so helpful to remind myself that it's *okay* to have bad days. That was hard for me. I would feel guilty for feeling overwhelmed and run-down because others would trade with me. But a dear friend who lost her baby girl reminded me of something: She still has bad days where she wants to run screaming into the night. I was shocked. But she is human. And so am I! Amazing, eh? But, as you said, we can't dwell on it. We have to see these little blessings in a different light... be it though a camera lens or from the other room for a few minutes. ;)
I think about Layla and her family all the time too. She definitely taught me how to enjoy every moment. True, though, there are those moments/days. I am a yeller (I think to compensate for not being a physical punisher). I am working on this. Deep breathes, deep breathes.
Post a Comment