Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Activities around the house

I haven't updated this thing recently, and here's why-- we've been busy!!

Take a look at some of the activities Jared and I have been doing around the house. I've been on a sewing kick these days and felt the need to take care of a few things before our newest arrival errr.... arrived.

First, the baby had to have a magic blankie just like Leah's (but different colors, of course).

Then I decided to FINALLY finish up the baby quilt that I started working on over 4 years ago. It has sat in our house with unfinished binding since January 2006. Go me and my fast project-finishing skills self.

Next I decided to make this other baby blanket for the newbie, similar to one a friend of ours had made for Leah. (Leah got a lot of handmade baby blankets when she was born. I didn't want this kiddo to feel left out right from the get go.)

And finally, I made this nursing shawl (it's folded in half in the photo so it actually provides twice the coverage) and little carry bag. I've still got a few miscellaneous projects I'd like to tackle, but for now I think I may need a bit of a breather.

While I've been sewing up a storm, Jared has been going buck-nutty with gardening.
He started by creating these mini greenhouses for some of our newly planted vegetables just in case we should have an unseasonal cold-snap, such as tonight. (As I type this, it is 34 degrees outside and there is snow falling in Houston.)

Then he built some new garden beds to house some blueberry bushes (they are planted in the bed above, but you can't really see them)...

... another new bed for some grapes...

... and a third garden bed for some blackberries and raspberries. (This is the one I will be frequenting most.)

And then he planted two apple trees, one peach tree, and one plum tree. Here's hoping all of these plants produce and we end up with some delectable fruit this summer!